University of Eastern Africa, Baraton - eLearning
The course aims at enabling the student to recognize and outline:
- basic characteristics of Kenya's physical environment: diversity and commonalities
- the current issues related to Kenya's physical geography and development
- the causes of common environmental issues faced by Kenyans;
The course therefore gives the student a glimpse of:
- A brief introduction to Geography of Kenya: Historically and politically;
- Some salient features
- Physical Geography: Surface geology and its resource potentials
- Physiographic Regions: the resource potentials, constraints and prospects
- Climate, drainage and water resources: the resource potentials, constraints and prospects
- Vegetation and animal life: the resource potentials, constraints and prospects
- Kenya’s Physical Geography and the country’s development: a blessing or a curse
- Cross-cutting issues: foundations and the way-forward
- Environmental Problems
- Corruption and bad governance
- Rapid population increase
SUGGESTED RADING LIST
- Ojany, F. F. and Ogendo, R. R. (1989). Kenya: A Study in Physical and Human Geography. Longman, Nairobi.
- Morgan, W. T. W. (1973). East Africa. Longman, London.
- Waters, G. and Odero, J. (1990). Geography of Kenya and the East African Region. Macmillan, London.